Writing in Cursive-Microtheme

   I learned how to read and write cursive in the first grade. I have been using it ever since, especially when I want someone to be able to read my handwriting. Sadly, two of my cousins and many other children will not have this opportunity. If we stop teaching cursive to children, are we going to have to change our teaching styles and legal documents for them?
   A major cause is that coding has taken over since the rise of technology and everyone has been focusing on it. Everyone spends all their time on coding and none of their time on cursive. While coding is important, cursive is equally as important.
   One consequence is that many historical documents are written in cursive. Think of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Without being able to read cursive, schools will have to find a new way to show original photos of these documents since the students will no longer be able to read them otherwise. 
  Another consequence is eventually no one will be able to sign legal documents. While the industry is moving towards signing things with a thumb print or not requiring a signature at all, there are many places, such as banks, that still require a signature. Without learning cursive, no one will be able to provide a signature anymore.
   If we could teach both cursive and coding, then we will not have to change how we teach or present legal documents and the world will be opened to millions of children. 

Comments

  1. Interesting paper (especially since I only know how to write my name in cursive), although maybe state a more broader effect of not teaching cursive to children in the intro to be able to expand more about the topic in the body of the paper. Another suggestion is to maybe go into greater depth of the importance of being able to read the declaration of independence and being able to sign legal documents

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this work! There is so much we are taking for granted with writing technologies. EVERY YEAR I swear I'm going to hand-make Christmas and Holiday cards, and *sometimes* I get around to it. I feel the Maker Movement is helping a lot of us get back in touch with individual craft projects and a disposition to sort of work harder and not simply to work easier. I think cursive writing -- all handwriting is part of this movement. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This I Believe (from ICE class)

Get to know me #5: Marvel